Work visa

Canada is one of the top destinations for foreign workers who are looking for a job or professional development opportunity. With a growing and strong economy, the country offers very competitive salaries and several opportunities for professional growth. In addition, if you are planning to immigrate to Canada, having a work experience in the country can contribute positively to the process of permanent residence.   

To work in Canada, a foreign person must have the proper authorization, otherwise there may be serious consequences with Canadian immigration. There are several ways to obtain a work permit for Canada. For example:

  • During studies: It is one of the most used options. Depending on the course to be studied in Canada, the international student may have a part-time work permit during their studies, and a full-time work permit during breaks / vacations. Some courses also have a mandatory internship (Coop) in their schedule, which will require the international student to apply for a work permit to complete the internship.

  • Spouses of an international student: Depending on the program and the institution that the international student comes to study in Canada, your spouse may apply for an open work permit.

  • Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) - Some programs at qualified institutions give the international student the possibility to apply for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP), which is an open work permit valid for up to 3 years.

  • Spouse of skilled worker: Depending on the type of work the foreign worker was hired for, your spouse may apply for an open work permit.

  • Labor Market Impact Assesment (LMIA): Which is a document where the employer has permission from the Canadian government to hire a foreign worker. The work permit will be specific to an employer and for a specified period.
en_CAEnglish (Canada)